- 800g (12) JAZZ™ Apples, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 15ml (1 tbsp) ground cinnamon
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground nutmeg
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground cloves
- 600g (6 cups) whole almonds
- 180g caramelised white chocolate, plus extra to serve*
- 10ml (2 tsp) salt
- 24 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed (2 x packs)
- 200g unsalted butter, melted
SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
- 375g golden caster sugar
- 150g honey
- 125g salted butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sea salt flakes
- 100g pistachios shelled and roasted
- 3 JAZZ™ apples, extra, cubed
- For the filling, place a medium pot over high heat and combine the apple, lemon juice and spices together. Lower the heat and allow the apples to cook down, stirring every now and then, for 10 minutes or until the apples have softened slightly. Gently mash the apple mixture, leaving a few chunks.
- In a food processor, blitz the almonds until finely chopped.
- Transfer the almonds into a large bowl, stir in the caramelised white chocolate and cooked apple. Set aside for 30 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- Grease a 35cm x 25cm baking dish.
- To roll the cigars, slice the phyllo sheets in half and place ½ a phyllo sheet on a clean counter with the long edge parallel to you. Brush the surface with melted butter. Spoon a ¼ cup of the nut mixture in a sausage shape about 3cm away from the edge of the pastry.
- Fold both sides of the pastry over the filling and roll up tightly to enclose.
- Place the baklava rolls in the prepared baking dish, generously brushing the tops with extra butter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- To make the salted caramel sauce, combine the sugar, honey and ½ cup (125ml) water in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Stir until all the sugar has dissolved then bring to a gentle simmer, swirling occasionally for about 8 minutes or until amber in colour. Whisk in the butter, a cube at a time, until all the butter has melted in. Swirl in the sea salt flakes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the baklava is golden, pour all of the salted caramel sauce over.
- Serve with chopped pistachios, cubed JAZZ Apples and a drizzle of extra caramelised white chocolate.
- *TIP Use white chocolate, if desired