Ingredients – Soup:
800g pumpkin or butternut cubed
4 cloves garlic, whole and in the skin
olive oil for drizzling
1 onion, chopped
olive oil for frying
1 tsp cumin
4 cups warm chicken stock
salt and pepper to season
2 JAZZ™ apples, cored and cut into thick wedges
of sharp white cheddar, cut into thin slices, enough to put a slice on each wedge of apple
6 slices of bacon, fried and finely chopped (add the bacon fat to the soup for extra flavour)
Freshly ground black pepper
Method – Soup
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the pumpkin/butternut and garlic on a roasting tray and drizzle with some oil.
- Roast until the pumpkin is cooked and the edges are starting to caramelise, about 40 minutes.
- Set aside to cool down until you can touch the garlic without burning your fingers.
- Fry the onions in a splash of oil over medium heat until softened.
- Add the pumpkin/butternut, squeeze the garlic out of the skins, and add
- Sweat the veggies for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and puree the soup, adding more stock if required.
- Cover the soup to stay warm while you make the crostini.
Method – Crostini:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and place the apple slices on the paper.
- Top with cheese and bacon.
- Bake for about 5 minutes until the cheese just starts to melt.
- Grind black pepper on top and serve immediately with the soup
Created by: Hein van Tonder