Serves 4 – 6
Recipe by Zola Nene
- 500g peeled & diced pumpkin
- 3 Jazz™ apples, cored and chopped
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
- Combine pumpkin, apples, vanilla, sugar, water and mixed spice in a saucepan, then simmer until pumpkin and apples have softened (about 25-30 minutes).
- Blend mixture until smooth, set aside to cool to room temperature (should yield about 2 cups of purée).
- Once cooled, mix in the eggs and milk, then sift in the flour and baking powder, mix until combined – do not over mix.
- Heat oil in a deep pot (oil temperature should be about 170c).
- Drop spoonsful of batter into the hot oil and fry until golden, turning during cooking for an even colour.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon then roll the hot fritters in the mixture to coat well.