1½ cups peeled, chopped, sliced Jazz apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
1½ cup cake flour
1 cup wheat bran
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg or 2 small ones
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons chopped pecan nuts
3 tablespoons raisins
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
3 tablespoons chia seeds
1. In a small bowl, combine the apple and sugar; set aside.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, wheat bran, cinnamon and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
4. Fold in the apple mixture, walnuts, pecans, raisins, cranberries and chia seeds.
5. Add a little canola oil if mixture is too dry.
6. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full of batter.
7. Bake at 180° C for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
8. They are great on its own, or served with butter.
This recipe was entered by Jeanette Ras for our JAZZ™ Apple May 2019 competition. Recipe credit: Jeanette Ras