4 medium JAZZ™ apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
6 large eggs (room temperature)
1 1/3 cup (165gram) cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp fine cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp extra cinnamon and a TBSP of icing sugar mixed for dusting.
1. Whisk eggs until creamy about a minute with an electric mixer
2. Add sugar little at a time and whisk for about 8 minutes with an electric mixer.
3. Add vanilla essence.
4. Sift in flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Use a spatula to fold it in.
5. Fold in coarsely cut apples, reserving about a cup full.
6. Line the bottom of a 22 cm springform pan with grease proof paper.
7. Pour the batter into the pan, no need for greasing.
8. Spread the remaining apples evenly over the cake batter and bake at 170 degrees for 50 minutes.
9. Once cake is cooled dust with cinnamon and icing sugar.
10. Eat on its own or serve with a dollop of whipped fresh cream.
This recipe was entered by Nicole Young for our JAZZ™ Apple May 2019 competition. Recipe credit: Cape Malay, cooking and other delights