Ingredients (serves 6):
For the bread:
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup (190 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 5 extra ripe medium-large bananas (2 cups), mashed
- 2 JAZZ™ apples, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (130 grams) whole wheat flour
For the French Toast:
- 3 cups (710 ml) half & half
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Unsalted butter or neutral flavored oil, for cooking
Warm maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9 inch loaf pan, line with parchment paper and grease again.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the applesauce, brown sugar, mashed bananas, grated apple, eggs and vanilla until completely combined. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and both flours. Fold half of the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined then fold in the remaining half.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out relatively clean (a few crumbs are ok). Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- To make the French toast: In a large bowl whisk together the half & half, eggs, salt, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Slice the Banana Apple bread into 1 inch thick slices. Heat a large saute pan or griddle over medium high heat.
- Dip the bread slices in the liquid, holding them there while completely submerged for at least 5 seconds. Brush the pan or griddle with butter and cook the dipped slices for 3 to 4 minutes per side until spotted with golden brown dots. Serve with warm maple syrup.