We love this apple and cinnamon flapjack recipe in our house. They are so quick and easy to make for a delicious snack. I’ve been known to make up a batch for picnics at the beach or park. This recipe uses JAZZ™ Apples which are ideal for layering in flapjacks due to their firm flesh. Add in cinnamon and a few sultanas and you get the taste of apple strudel in a flapjack!
Ingredients (makes 16 flapjack bites)
For the Flapjack
125g brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
For the JAZZ™ Apple Filling
6 JAZZ™ Apple (peeled, cored and chopped
1 tbsp water
1 tsp cinnamon
2 level tbsp brown sugar
- Start by making the apple filling. Place the chopped JAZZ™ Apples, cinnamon, tap water, and brown sugar in a saucepan. Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes. Five minutes before the end, add in the sultanas.
- Put to one side and start making the flapjack.
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 180C fan. Line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan, then take off the heat. Combine the oats with the melted butter, brown sugar, and golden syrup.
- Spoon half the flapjack mixture into the baking tin, pressing firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Add the layer of JAZZ™ Apple and cinnamon filling.
- Use the remaining flapjack mixture to cover the apple layer, again pressing firmly to flatten.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave the flapjack in the tin until cold to prevent crumbling. Cut into 16 flapjack bites.