For the vanilla sauce
- 300 ml whole milk
- 200 g cream
- 40 g sugar
- 3 egg yolks (M)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 7 g cornflour
For the apple cakes
- 4 JAZZ™ apples
- 200 g wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 25 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 100 ml milk
- 50 ml mineral water
- 2 eggs (M)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Oil for frying
- For the custard, scrape out the vanilla pod. Then put the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla pod pulp and scraped out pod into a pan and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, mix the cornflour with the egg yolks.
- Once the milk mixture has come to the boil, add a small ladleful of the hot milk to the egg yolks and stir it in.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan and heat again over a medium heat until the sauce comes to a gentle simmer and thickens.
- Now strain through a fine sieve and either serve immediately or cover the surface with cling film to prevent a skin from forming.
- For the apple fritters, peel the apples, remove the core, and cut the apples into slices about 1-2 cm thick.
- For the dough, mix the flour with the sugar, vanilla sugar, milk, eggs and a pinch of salt in a bowl until smooth. Finally, carefully stir in the mineral water.
- Put the oil in a deep pan to a height of about 2 cm and heat to 180 °C.
- Now pull the apple rings through the batter, allow the excess batter to drip off briefly and then add to the pan. Only put enough apples in the pan so that they do not touch each other.
- Fry on both sides for about 2 minutes and then transfer to a piece of kitchen paper to let the excess oil drip off.
- Serve the apple fritters warm with a little vanilla sauce.