Flaky filo wrapped around sweet, tart ginger steeped fruits – too easy!
3 JAZZ™ apples, cut into chunks
4 sticks of rhubarb, cut into 2cm segments
Zest and juice of 1 orange
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
½ tsp allspice*
2cm knob of ginger, grated
5 sheets of filo pastry, defrosted
2 tbsp ghee, melted**
1 egg, whisked
To serve, icing sugar and ice-cream or yoghurt
• Preheat the oven to 180°c.
• In a large mixing bowl, place the JAZZ™ apples, rhubarb, zest and juice of the orange, dark brown sugar, allspice and ginger. Stir to combine and set aside to steep while you prepare the filo.
• Lay out the filo pastry rectangles, keep it covered with a damp tea towel to prevent drying out.
• Gently grab one of the sheets of filo and lay on the bench.
• Brush with melted ghee, top with another sheet of filo.
• Brush the sheet of filo with more ghee and repeat the layering until all sheets have been used.
• Brush the top sheet with ghee. Cut the filo in half widthways to create two squares.
• Use a slotted spoon to place the drained apple and rhubarb mixture onto the middle of each of the squares of filo.
• Starting at one end, scrunch the filo into a circle and brush with extra ghee to hold in place.
• Brush an oven tray with a little ghee and place the two tarts onto the tray and bake in the oven for 10 mins.
• Remove from the oven and brush with the whisked egg.
• Return to the oven and continue to bake for a further 10-15 mins or until golden brown and the fruit has softened.
• Serve with sifted icing sugar and ice-cream or yoghurt.