If you’re throwing a get-together for friends or family this month or simply want a delicious meat-filled Mexican feast then we have the recipe for you – Pork Carnitas Tacos with Pickled JAZZ™ Apple and Radish Slaw. Easy to prepare and make which means you have more time to enjoy the summer sunshine. Give it a try!
500g Pork Shoulder
½ Onion, finely sliced
2 cloves of Garlic, crushed
Pinch of Sea salt
120ml Whole Milk
120ml Fresh Orange Juice
Pickled JAZZ™ APPLE and Radish Slaw
1 JAZZ™ Apple, finely sliced into matchsticks
1 Red Onion, finely sliced
5 Radish, finely sliced
50ml White Wine Vinegar
Juice of 1 Lime
25g Caster Sugar
Pinch of Cracked Black Pepper
8 Soft Corn Tortillas
1 lime cut into 8 wedges
- Slice the pork shoulder into 6 even chunks and place into a large heavy based pan over a medium heat with the lard, onion, garlic cloves and salt and keep stirring until the pork is well browned all over.
- Once the pork shoulder is well browned add the milk and orange juice and turn the heat down to a low simmer, cover the pan with foil and leave the pork to cook for 2 hours
- Meanwhile prepare the pickled JAZZ™ Apple and radish slaw by combining the white wine vinegar, lime juice, sugar and seasoning in a small pan and warm over a gentle heat until sugar and salt has dissolved, immediately remove from heat and leave to cool before adding the other ingredients
- Once pickling liquor has cooled, add the JAZZ™ Apple, red onion and radish and gently toss in the liquor until well coated and the red onion has changed to a bright pink colour.
- After 2 hours check the pork by pinching the pork pieces with a pair of tongs, if the pork is easy to pull then it’s ready to break down into smaller chunks
- When ready to serve strain off the excess pork liquid (if any) and turn the heat up, caramelise the pulled pork chunks until golden brown, check for seasoning before serving
- To serve, warm the soft corn tortillas on a chargrill and lay on a platter, place a generous pile of pork carnitas onto the warm tortilla and top off with the fresh JAZZ ™ Apple and radish slaw, some coriander leaves and a wedge of lime to finish.