Apple cake is one of my most favourite desserts as it is super moist, flavourful and delicious. Slithers of apple are nestled between this sumptuous batter creating a cake with a flavoursome punch which is actually super light – the perfect cake to have on a summer’s afternoon with a cup of tea. Using JAZZ™ Apples in this recipe means that it has a sweet bite rather than the more tart taste of tart taste of green apples. It is a subtly sweet recipe that just oozes fruity vibes.
Ingredients (makes 1 cake)
600g JAZZ™ Apples (around 4 apples)
4 eggs, beaten
200g self-raising flour
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp milk
Sugar, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Butter and flour a flan oven dish to stop the edges from sticking.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples then squeeze the lemon juice over and set to one side. The lemon juice stops the apples from browning.
- Cream the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, sieved flour and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well until smooth.
- Put half of the apples into the mixture and fold until combined. I like to cut these apple slices up a little more as they distribute better in the mixture then.
- Pour into the oven dish and flatten out.
- Arrange the other half of the apples over the top of the mixture and sprinkle over a little sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and springy to the touch, or until a skewer comes out clean.