With the World Cup now in full swing this month’s recipe has some Brazilian flair thrown in and is the perfect snack to watch with the football. Dadinhos de Tapioca is a classic in South America and this version contains JAZZ™ so is even better. Give it a whirl!
Dadinhos de Tapioca
250ml Whole milk
125g Halloumi Cheese, finely grated
125g Granulated Tapioca
A generous pinch of salt and ground white pepper
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Sweet Chilli and JAZZ™ Apple Jam
A large jam jar
2-3 Red Chillies
235ml Apple cider vinegar
5 JAZZ™ Apples
1. Gently heat the milk to a scalding point in a small heavy based saucepan.
2. Combine the cheese and tapioca in a bowl and slowly add the hot milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps forming
3. Season the mixture and continue to stir until the mixture thickens
4. Line a baking tray (preferably with a depth of 1-2 inches) with cling film and pour the cheese mixture into it, spread out until even and then cover the surface with cling film to prevent a skin forming, leave to cool before refrigerating for at least 4 hours
5. While the cheese mixture is cooling, prepare the Sweet Chilli and JAZZ™ Apple Jam. Begin by sterilising the jars. Wash the jars and put them in a roasting tin (without their lids) then heat in the oven from cold to 100c
6. To prepare the Jam, slice the chillies in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds, roughly chop and then transfer to a food processor and blend until well chopped but not to a puree.
7. Remove any loose stalks from the JAZZ™ Apples and pierce the skin of four of the apples in several places, add the four pierced apples, the sugar and blended chillies to a large, heavy based sauce pan. Stir briefly, then bring to the boil for around 15 minutes.
8. Remove the core from the 5th Jazz apple and dice into fine cubes, take the jars out of the oven and evenly distribute the apple cubes between the jars.
9. When your jam is ready, remove the apples and skim any foam off the top, ladle the jam into the hot jars
10. Screw the lids on tightly and leave to cool. The Jam will keep for a long while if kept in an airtight jar but can be served whilst still warm.
11. When ready to serve the Dadinhos, preheat the vegetable oil in a deep fat fryer to 180c, take the cheese mixture out of the baking tray and cut into even sized cubes, deep fry in small batches until golden brown and serve with the hot or cold Sweet chilli and JAZZ™ Apple Jam.