Apples and pork are a wonderful combination when done right and our recipe of the month certainly proves that. This recipe is simple to make and will leave everyone happy as the delicious tangy salad is a treat with the crispy pork belly. Fantastic recipe to dish up when hosting a dinner party as it looks marvellous when served.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
500g Pork belly
1 JAZZ™ Apple
1 (400g) tin of Black Eyed Peas
1 Red Onion
1 White Onion
A handful of Coriander
2 cloves of Garlic – peeled and finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
5 tbsp of Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 220°.
- Score pork belly skin side with a sharp knife and generously rub in salt and olive oil. Add pork to a roasting tray on top of one chopped white onion and one chopped carrot.
- Cook pork belly in the oven on high for 30 minutes before turning the temperature down to 160° for a further 90 minutes.
- For the black eyed pea salad, start off by finely slicing 1 red onion, 1 carrot, 1 JAZZ™ Apple, 1 tomato and a small hand full of coriander
- Add ingredients to a bowl with the black eyed peas and combine.
- In a separate bowl add the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and chopped garlic and whisk together. Add salt and pepper to taste before adding the dressing to the black eyed pea salad.
- Once the pork belly is cooked, remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes before serving with the salad.