- 4-5 JAZZ™ apples sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs (size 7)
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- Pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 115gms butter – melted and cooled
- Pre-heat oven to 180° C and lightly grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Core and slice the JAZZ™ apples into fine slithers and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until foamy.
- Add sugar and whisk to blend then add vanilla essence.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and mix.
- Combine the flour and butter with the egg mixture stirring to create a smooth batter.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold ¾ of the apples into the batter (reserve the extra for the heart shaped topping).
- Pour the apple batter into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Arrange the remaining apple slices on the top of the cake batter to create a heart shape.
- Bake for45-60 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and knife in center comes out clean.
Optional: You can add a little sprinkle of cinnamon sugar over the apples before cooking or dust with icing sugar before serving.