5-6 JAZZ™ apples, cored and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons brown or raw sugar
1 packet sweet short crust pastry
• Place apples, spices and sugar in a large bowl and toss together to combine. Generously butter a 20-25cm diameter round tin and line with sweet pastry.
• Cover pastry with baking paper and fill base with dried chickpeas or dried lentils.
• Blind bake for 10 minutes, then remove base from oven and discard dried beans and baking paper.
• Spoon spiced apple mix into blind-baked base.
• Cover apple with desired pastry design – you might like to try a simple lattice, a plain full top or get creative with braiding and patterns.
• Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
• For an optional sheen and hint of sweetness, brush pastry with warm apricot jam when removed from oven.
• Serve warm with cream, yoghurt or milk.