Our recipe of the month for May takes inspiration from our friends in the States but is just as delicious to eat whatever side of the pond you are on. Our JAZZ™ Apple & Bacon Chilli is ideal to share with friends and family over the summer and is super simple to make yet packed full of flavour. Give it a try!
400g bacon, cut into ½ in chunks
2 JAZZ™ apples, small diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 jalapenos, seeds and stems removed, finely chopped
400g ground beef
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1 can of dark beer (can use beef stock if you prefer)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 can kidney beans, drained
Thinly sliced spring onions
- In a large pot, render the bacon chunks until crispy. Spoon out bacon with a slotted spoon leaving the hot fat behind.
- Add the onion and apples and saute until tender.
- Add the jalapenos and saute until tender.
- Add the garlic and saute for approximately 30 seconds.
- If lots of excess bacon grease (depends on how fatty the bacon is), drain any excess out of the pot.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for 1-2 hours over low-medium heat (should just be small bubbles, not a vigorous simmer or boil).
- The longer you simmer, the more flavour you will get! Adjust seasoning as you wish – more salt if needed, more spice if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish the way you like!