With the countdown to Christmas officially underway our favourite recipe this month is ideal to help you add some festive JAZZ™ to your menu. These JAZZ™ Apple and Fennel stuffing balls are the perfect accompaniment to Christmas turkey and the Brussel Sprouts and Chorizo take it to another level. A must for all dinner tables this Christmas!
12 Brussel sprouts
10cm piece of chorizo – peeled and chopped into small irregular pieces
1 JAZZ™ Apple–peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks, about the same size as the chorizo pieces
Good knob of butter
Splash double cream
Salt and pepper to season
Stuffing balls (V)
A selection of rosemary, thyme and sage leaves – finely chopped
Good pinch salt
½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
JAZZ™ Apple – grated
¼ small fennel bulb – grated
Small knob of butter
Water- recently boiled
- Remove discoloured and wilting leaves from the sprouts and cut off the tough base stalk. Make a cross cut in the base of each sprout (to speed cooking). Steam them over a pan of boiling water until they are just cooked but still have a little bite.
- While this is happening take a small frying pan and gently fry the chorizo pieces until they are dark golden and crispy on the outside and most of the fat has been rendered out. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c. In a bowl mix together the stuffing ingredients adding enough water to make a moist but not sticky mixture that can be formed in balls. Stir everything together until the butter has melted. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow to cool a little and then form the mixture into even sized balls each about the size of a Brussel sprout.
- Place on a sheet of baking paper on an oven proof tray. Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes until they are golden brown on the outside.
- Whilst they are cooking melt the butter in a heavy based pan. Once it has all melted turn up the heat until the butter starts to foam. Keep it moving around the pan and watch closely as it begins to develop a rich golden colour.
- Once this colour begins to turn brown remove from the heat and add the cream and seasoning. Mix well together and return to a low heat.
- To this pan add the steamed sprouts, the caramelized chorizo and the chunks of apple. Stirring continuously to coat the pan contents, bring up the temperature and continue cooking for a few minutes until the sprouts are heated through and the apple is cooked but not soggy.
- Add the stuffing balls to the pan and gently turn until they too are glazed with the brown butter and cream mixture.
- Serve immediately as an accompaniment to Christmas turkey.