- 4 waffle cones
- Vanilla ice cream
- Apple Pop rocks
- Apple Chips
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Juice from half lemon
- 4 cups thinly sliced baking apples (about 1/2 inch thick) I use 4 jazz
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon high-quality vanilla extract or vanilla paste. (I prefer vanilla paste)
- Peel and core the apples, and then slice them thinly, no more than 1/2 inch thick.
- Put the sliced apples in a large bowl and toss them with the lemon juice. The acid in the lemons gives them a fantastic tanginess but most importantly stops the apples from oxidizing and turning brown.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and salt. Sprinkle the apples evenly with this mixture and toss again.
- Put the coated apples in a deep pan and sauté them on medium heat until steam starts to rise from them and they have started to soften. Make sure all the flour has been cooked out, and the juices have thickened. Mix frequently with a wooden spoon during this process.
- Take the apples off the heat and transfer them into a container and refrigerate. While they cool make a quick caramel sauce and an egg wash.
Recipe and picture by Monti Carlo @themonticarlo